Statement of Intent

16137 Beauchamps High School
2143 Maddison Luck

How do you intend to use the four areas of the medial theoretical framework to communicate meaning and meet the requirements of your chosen brief?

Television:

The brief I have chosen is a three minute opening sequence a pilot for a new music magazine show for Channel 4. My show is going to be called “Spectacle”. It is going to be a platform for up and coming artists in the music industry. Presented by a male and female presenter, who I intend to have a similar relationship to Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield. Another intertextual link I wish to make is to have a music act based on The Shires (American country band). However I want my band to be a married couple and fitting the musical genre of pop. They will be called ‘Two of a Kind’ and they will be on the show for the purpose of promoting their new album. I will also have a feature of a Canadian singer making her debut in the UK. This will suit the younger members of the audience as she would have made her fame on social media. Based on how Justin Bieber made his fame. My music magazine show will suit the AB demographic as I aim for my presenters as well as the guests to be dressed smartly, address the audience when in conversation and most importantly the show will inform the audience. When the album is coming out, what is coming up on the show etc. My interpretation of an AB demographic is that they are educated on the world but also seek entertainment, That is what I want to provide. The show and its presenters will suit the scheduling of the programme. The show is clean content (suitable for pre-watershed). It if family friendly and a pick-me-up on a Monday evening after work. I will use different representations in my guests to attract different types of audience members. One of my guests will be Canadian which will attract the Canadian audience and then my other guests are British pop singers. This attracts young pop music followers and also the fact that ‘Two of a Kind’ will be married makes them distinct to other acts. This sparks interest in audience members and means once they watch the show they become dedicated. The sophisticated core values of my music magazine show are promoting new artists, meaningful song writing and entertaining the audience. The features my pilot episodes will include is a title sequence, animated logo, introduction including the running order of the show, guest interview and a music video preview. My show suits the values of a Channel 4 programme because it nurtures new and existing talent. I aim for the mis-en-scene of my show to be in the location of a studio-like room. With formal chairs and coffee table set up but still keeping an informal manner. The location of the music video will be outside in an open field, reflecting the idea of a picnic date. I plan for the music video to have a clear concept of romance to reflect the lyrics of the song. The title of the ‘song’ my guests will be releasing is called ‘Seasons’. This is why I want the music video to be outside and linked to nature. I would like the lighting to be high key, especially in the music video preview and the opening sequence as these are going to be the main attractions to the audience. The costumes of my presenters will be smart and sophisticated, and the guests will fit this style. However, in the music video the band will be dressed in more casual summer clothes. This will fit the pop music genre. I intend for the editing of the music video to suit the usual conventions. Fast paced cuts in time with the beats of the music. I will try to tell a story with my editing and also try my best to use the visual performance of lip syncing in the music video clip. I want this clip to be a hybrid of both performative and narrative. Because the music video clip is just a preview and will be exclusive to the show I want to have a scrolling text along the bottom linked to Spectacle and giving the audience a little more information about the band. The editing of the interview and actual magazine show itself will also suit the conventions. Wide shots to show the whole scene and everyone in it, close ups of who is talking, two person shot of the presenters when introducing the guests. I also have a specific shot in mind of the musical guests in the green room. I want to shoot it in the reflection of a mirror so it appears they are getting ready to come onto the show. The two different settings of the magazine show will be the opening sequence which I wish to film in the hotel event room that I work at, and the interview studio which I wish to film in the bridal suite of the hotel. Then the music video preview will show the third location of the field. Branding will be present throughout the three minute sequence. I have envisioned that I will use the same text and colour scheme throughout the titles, followed by an animated logo. I also hope the I will be able to place the logo or at least the show name in the back of the interview shots. The branding of Spectacle will be maintained throughout the sound clips used as well. I hope to create individual sound clips on garage band that I can repeat throughout the sequence just like they do on other magazine shows such as Ellen and The One Show. Repeated sounds are an attractive feature to the audience and make the show more relatable. 

Website:

As well as the magazine show being for Channel 4 so therefore representing their branding, I want to take intertextuality from The Great British Bake Off for my website. I will use cross media convergence by adding social media links to ‘Spectacle’s’ facebook and twitter accounts. This encourages audience interactivity and means the magazine show will reach more people. Promotion for the magazine show will be across multiple social media platforms. I aim for the links to be across the top of the page just like they are on The Great British Bake Off’s website. Also on their website they have the pages across the top in a strip of block colour which I hope to replicate on my website. The visual content on my website will include animated sliding images. I have taken this idea from The Great British Bake Off. I will have a meet the presenters section on the homepage to connect the characters to the audience. The sliding images will also capture attention straight away. My design choices will reflect the branding of ‘Spectacle’. I intend to use the same colour scheme used throughout the three minute opening sequence so it appeals to the audience. I will also make sure to include my logo on the initial sight of the website, I want it to be one of the first things the audience will see when visiting. The pages included will be a long homepage so that I can include as much as I can, and another page called ‘this weeks show’ which will have the full three minute opening sequence on through youtube. The homepage will include an ‘About’ Spectacle section where there will be information about the show and hopefully a link to buy tickets to see the show live. I want there to be a section which interacts with the audience. I will have a section called ‘A View Through Your Lens’ which is a play on the shows tag line ‘a view through our lens’. Here I will put all original images with the intention of making it appear that audience members have sent in their photos to get noticed. As well as using all original images across the website I also hope to create a bloopers video from the outtakes of the music video filming and add this on the website so it includes other moving image that is not included in the show itself. Marketing of the show will be throughout the website, showing a scheduling on the homepage will show the audience straight away when the show can be watched. Also the page titled ‘this weeks show’ will provide the audience with access to the whole show and also a quick summary of what they should expect to see. This promotes the show through the website as it will all be linked. A feature that will appeal to the audience is a section that I hope to include in the homage called ‘spectacle exclusive’ this will be about the musical guests that are on the show. It makes the audience feel important as here they will get information they wouldn’t otherwise get on the actual show. I am hoping to link this section to the music video preview so the audience can also watch it on the website. The website for my music magazine show can be used financially as the audience can potentially use it to purchase tickets, which the proceeds will go towards production of the show. Also, I hope to include a link to a charity. The Great British Bake Off’s website supports ‘Stand Up To Cancer’. I want to promote a relevant charity on my website and encourage donations to them. Also, supporting a charity on my website and in fact using my presenters to do so fits the brief of the website. 


How do you intend to link your media products to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the digitally convergent nature of your media production?

Firstly I intend to link my media products through the use of branding. My logo, images, text and colour scheme will be displayed across both products. I aim to make this very evident and unmissable. I want the logo to be one of the first things the audience will notice. Also, using the same colour scheme and text throughout will create a consistent template and make both products associated with each other. My tv programme will promote my website and vice versa. During the music video preview in the programme there will be a running band of text encouraging audience members to visit the website for exclusive news and more information. On the other hand, my website will have a section on ‘this weeks show’ prompting the programme and again encourage audience members to watch the full episode. Aspects I wish to make unique to my website include a bloopers video, support for a relevant charity and more information on the shows presenters. I want unique features on my website to encourage the audience to visit the site regularly. Bloopers are something I don’t feel are relevant to the running of the show but they would bring the concept of comedy to the show through the website and also makes the characters more relatable as it shows them making mistakes. I intend to use social media to link the two media products also. Having social media accounts for the show means that they can promote both products equally. Accounts like Facebook and Twitter will be useful for the programme as it attracts another category of audience members and counts as further advertising. Social media is attractive to the audience as my target audience is aged 16-25. Younger generations are constant users of social media and so making the show accessible through these platforms means I can engage with my target audience. Linking both media products I have made, my music magazine show and my website, demonstrates their digitally convergent nature. Support of a relevant charity on the website also demonstrates synergy as it shows that Spectacle is in cooperation with another organisation.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ken and Holly - short paragraph for website